PK NOTE: A tryout to SBPDL reader “Black Pershing”… big weekend planned at SBPDL with the Second Battle of Atlanta continuing and a look at the American city most likely to have the first riot of 2012. Plus the sequel to “Negro Fatigue”…
|I spent a month in New Jersey one night…|
Described by a veteran NJ state trooper I talked to once as, “the most liberal state you’d ever want to live in,” New Jersey is just that. New Jersey has been known as a historically liberal state. They abolished the death penalty in 2007 and before that didn’t execute anyone since 1963. They also have some of the toughest gun laws in the nation. Yet another poignant fact is New Jersey’s intensive commitment to diversity, it’s central, most populous university (Rutgers University) now has a majority non-white freshman class. According to the 2010 census, New Jersey is 13.7% Black and 59.3% white of non-Hispanic origin.
- 61% of all inmates in the New Jersey correctional system are Black (14,469 of 23, 810 total inmates)
- In New Jersey juvenile facilities, Blacks compose of 65% of the inmate population.
- In New Jersey halfway houses and county jails, 64% of the inmates are Black.
- In New Jersey State Prison, a maximum security prison where only the most violent inmates are sent, Blacks are 66% of the population.
- In Northern State Prison (outside of the infamous Newark), Blacks are 64% of the inmate population and 70% of the administrative segregation population (meaning the inmates you have to keep on lockdown 23 hours a day or they’ll kill others or be killed by others).